Saturday, February 20, 2010

HW 40 - School Interviews x 5 & Synthesis

Part 1
-Making school better
-The experience of being a student
-School as a sorting machine
-School as machine for conquering and puppeteering a population
-Pedagogic techniques - grading, testing, etc.
-The motivations of school - for the student, parent, teacher, system
-The functions of school - both actual and claimed/rhetorical
-The historical development and transformations of US schools



Human #1
-To make school better, they could add culture festival and sports festival.
-Hard working, you just have to keep up with everything or else you fall behind.
-Sorting machine is discrimination.
-So total true, they don't think about the time we spent with our family, forcing us to participate with each other which is making it harder
-We shouldn't be graded upons these things, it makes people stuck up and looking down at others
-it's all competition, makes everyone want to go for the best, # 1
-educated children and best them look better
-the historical development are better and worst in their own ways.



Human #2

-school for 4 days a week

-I wish I never went to school because it feels like a waste of my time when I can be doing more important things

-Sorting machine wouldn't be fair since the smart people wouldn't understand much except to be full of themselves and the average kids wouldn't get much help since there aren't much teachers around to help.

-They are forcing us to learn things we don't want to know.

-People now don't mind showing off their worst grades, and the people who got higher grades don't show unless ask too.

-No motivation at all.

-School is only to make us smart.

-It's hasn't gotten any better because we're not learning anything interesting, they are teaching us things that we don't understand at all.



Human #3

-There's no way school can be better, they've force us into their ways of learning as if this world only had one system of learning, they stuff about police out of the street making sure kids are in school. The only reason I see school for is to make sure we aren't causing trouble for the adults.

-Being a student for a long time, I have to say I dislike the way I was force to grow as a student. Looking at the lives of other people I can't help but wonder why and how they came out to be the person they are when school looks like a perfect world. But the perfect world is a boring place, those who want the things as they call peace and harmony are just lies made by school, those people teaching us to find something we want to be when we grow up. We never see how much we've changed and compare to back then we're a much uglier person.

- Grading and testing, those are like to test your skills in memory and explanation. The numbers and letter grades don't really mean anything, they are only there for a purpose to test your reaction, how strong of a heart you have to choose between moving on, doing better, giving up and so on. Everything has it's purpose, it has a reason for being there. Life is a long quest(quiz and test) for us to look for something.

-Motivation from school? I don't have any motivation, I just have something I want to look for, finding the truth about things I may no longer want to help them in their lame plans for the future of the world. I want to do things my way without having to be a puppet for the future of this planet. That stuff is pretty lame, I don't have any interest and I hate being used by other humans. Why not just find a replacement for me, there are plenty of humans to help do that.

-I thought school was a place to train us children so that when we are ready they can put us to better use. Like after we leave college most of us will be looking for a good job and help the government in improving the economy and stuff like that. They even got our parents into this, our parents are asking us to aim for the best so that we can live a better life then the life they had to live. They say parents just want what's best for us, is there anything else in these words that we haven't seen yet?

-It seems like school at taking a step forward in teaching, I look around in the train station and seem those middle schoolers with books and homework with things that I've been taught in 9th /10th grade. I think they are pushing is a bit too much since my siblings come home with homework and I can't even help them with it. I don't want them to stress with school work like the way I had to.



Human #4

- School could be better students actually had a choice in the things they want to do. Maybe they can change middle school so that students can start deciding what they want to learn that way they won't have to wait till college.

-My experience from being a student is that it's the same as working as an adult that works in an office, you need to stay organize, lots of work, little time to rest and learning faster ways of doing things.

-Sorting machine sounds like the sorting hat from harry potter, they categorize people in certain places that would best fit them but people don't really know what's best for them or know what's best for others. I think it's best to just let them choose so that if they make a mistake they will realize it and there's another lesson learned in life. Since kids are young, it's better that they learn these lesson through experience since by the time they are adults they just forget these things and not realize it till it's too late.

-It's best not to use letters or numbers in grading and testing since students will just look at the grade, some may look at the part they got wrong and look for a right answer but for those kids that are younger than us, they are always going to look for a way to pin point people down or get stuck up from their grades.

-I remember when I was a kid the motivation I got was usually awards for something that was new on T.V. but as I grew up I realize that I shouldn't have wanted those things since there are many others kids who wouldn't have the chance I had to get those things. The motivation I have now is wanting to pass on the experience given to me.

-The function of school may be just a place to keep you safe and give you something to do. Just look how many kids just sit at home on that snowy day having nothing to do, even thought there are so many things to do, it's like the brain just stops working. Besides not everyone has the same interest in the things they want to do.

-School is like a advantage for those who can read over those who can like rich people have the advantage back then for a better job since they had money to pay for better education or something like that. I'm grateful that I got to go to school but I wish that I never did sometimes since there are so many things school can't teach me and I feel like there should be more hours in a day because when that hand hits 12 I have to get up and get walking on that long path to school.


Human #5

Part 2
School has influence me the most in my life since it's has changed me a lot. Parents are always talking about the smart kids in my class and asking why aren't I better than them. That how the words "I don't know" became a part of who I am, a person that never knows. I used to like school but after awhile I hated it more and more, the only part I enjoy is learning but if I were to see a person with books all day I don't really want to be near them because I think about how they waste their time to get better only to be used by the adults in this world. Why do people even bother trying to be #1. When my parents bring up number, I leave the conversation because I know that even if a person is really smart their will be tons of things that they still won't understand. From the past all those people who were smart tend to bully others so I'm glad this school isn't the same. School is just a place that trains us to be the best, but I don't want to aim to be the best. Is there any other purpose for school? What made school more enjoyable back then, then it did now?

If not #1 in being the smartest kid then they look for something else they can be the best at. Is there? Will there ever be a person who will not look for that #1. To be given something is to take from others even without knowing this it is true. So if we were to accept something from a person then we have taken the chance of other humans receiving this something. If we were to aim to be the best and end up being the best other people will fight to be better than you or no longer know what to do anymore. Besides what will you do if you ever reach to be the best? Will you know? Probably not since you wanted this so much, you threw everything else away just as those adults planned it. But they want us to keep moving forward so even if you have reach to be the best, they will make you work harder so no one else can steal that place from you. For those who have given up, adults try to get them to their senses and most of the time it doesn't work because we as students and as kids think that adults don't understand how we feel. Friends? Can we really trust them all the time? There are times where friends can help but there are also times where we have to face it alone. When I turn on my computer at home, I always ask "how are you today?" and they would talk about how bad their day was or if there is any problem they have that they can talk with me about. I want to try my best to help them but I can't get them every step, there are things they must do on their own, after the problem is solved I would wait for someone new to talk but my parents would always tell me get off the computer. They say it's best for me to study but that's not what I want. I want to continue helping these students who don't understand how much they are giving up, so I try to get them to look for this something that they are missing. My parents ask for my rank in my class, I would say it doesn't matter and that our goals are not the same so ranking in class is useless. I'm not allowed to help anymore, I'm limited to everything I can do because they compare me to those other kids that are better than I am. I keep wonder why they won't let me do things my way. If only they didn't have this "who's the smartest" thing in the minds of humans. I want to walk a path on my own even if to others my life isn't as good as theirs, I want a life I will enjoy and school can't give this to me so I walk a life outside of school. School has only given me this chance to decide the things I want but it's something that can be replace.

No comments:

Post a Comment